Friday, November 21, 2008

Christian Sub-Culture

I am always fascinated with the Christian sub-culture. I think it’s pretty ridiculous sometimes. Christians try to create their own microcosm of our society. There is Barnes & Noble; so we create Lifeway. The world has mentos; and we have test-a-mints. And the list continues to go on and go. Well the latest new fixation is that there is a new Christian horror movie. That’s right. Now I am all about Christians trying to stay relevant in today’s culture. But I get so frustrated when we try and create our own and draw out of the world. “Do not be conformed to this world” (Romans 12:2) Notice it says do not be conformed, but so many Christians feel like this means do be in the world. So they interpret that as stay away and create your own. Sadly that’s not what it says. It means to be like the world. Regardless we are in this world, but we can’t let it dictate who we are and what we do or become.

So back to this movie, it’s a new horror movie with some blimps of Christian theology thrown in the mix. The movie is called House. It is based of the book by Ted Dekker, and many have been waiting for this new flick. I don’t think the so called Christian sub-culture will take the bait on this one; seeing as it is a Rated R movie. I just find it very funny that there is a Christian Horror movie. That just sounds too much like an oxymoron. I guess the intent is to scare people back to Jesus. Always a good tactic…hahaha.

No comments: