Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Value of Life

Every Black Friday millions of Americans wake up at the crack of dawn and go shopping among the masses. Retailers bank on the idea of making so much money on this day. Shoppers eagerly await the stimulating deals and low prices. There is such a great influence on making money and spending money. It is the largest money maker day in all the year. The flow of cash on a Black Friday is exponential.

Unfortunately, a man lost his life at a Wal-Mart on Black Friday. As soon as he and other workers went to unlock the doors at 5am he was trampled to death by the unrelenting crowd. As people trampled over then man they then began to run down the isles looking for the “great” deals. I am truly sorry for the man’s family. Stuff like this should not happen.

I can’t help but think about where we place our value. I mean, people were putting more value on shopping and “great” deals than they were putting on life itself. Life is our very essence and being, yet people place more value on shopping than life. I can’t understand why people have replaced the value of life with other things.

“In him was life, and the life was the light of men.” (John 1:4) The “him” that is referenced in this verse is Jesus Christ. Christ is our very life; he is our being and everything. So I feel like once again people have gotten their priorities way out of line. People haven’t just but shopping and “great” deals before Christ, they have also put money, jobs, relationships, people, and so much more ahead of Christ.

No comments: